Training vs. Learning
Transforming your learners from passive recipients of information to actively engaged seekers of knowledge requires a paradigm shift.
- Something you do to someone
- Passive—you get it, but may soon forget it
- Delivers principles, often in a lecture or read-and-test format, that are quickly forgotten
Self-directed learning is...
- Something you do for yourself
- Active—develops understanding and insight
- Delivers principles
- Delivers the opportunity to apply those principles in simulations that mirror the real world
Because people learn from their mistakes...
- Self-directed learning allows the learners to fail in a safe environment—without real-world consequences